Friday, July 4, 2008

Update on . . . Austin Rivers

It seems that I got to Austin Rivers at just the right time. The rising sophomore from Winter Park (FL) pulled the trigger on his recruitment recently. The 6'3.5 guard, the son of the Boston Celtics' Head Coach Doc Rivers, has committed to Florida. I spoke with Austin today to discuss his decision. "I felt real comfortable with the coaches [and it's a] . . . beautiful campus," said the up-and-coming class of 2011 stud. Rivers is one of the few committed players in his class, with superstar Aaron Ross (Arkansas) being another. I inquired of the young Rivers whether he was always planning on committing so early, and he told me this: "I really didn't know at first. . . . I knew I should look at some other schools, . . . [but there is] no way a college could be any better." Picking a school at such an early age will make it so that Rivers won't be able to fully enjoy the recruiting process. I asked if if he wishes that he would have had the opportunity to do so, and he told me this: "No, I . . . think it'll be a lot easier doing what I'm doing. . . . [It feels like a] weight has been lifted from my shoulders." I found it interesting that Austin committed to UF, as he had told me that he planned on visiting Memphis, as well as some other prestigious basketball schools. I asked Rivers what he story was on this, and he told me that he "ended up not doing it' because "when it comes down to it, it's going to be the same," adding that he "didn't need to look at the other places in [his] mind." To give you an idea of how great it felt for the young guard to commit, he informed me that "it was more exciting" than when his dad won the NBA Championship with the Celtics. His reasoning was that his "dad won," and not him, whereas he was the one who committed. Austin Rivers is a player to watch down the road, and I'll make sure you can keep track of him right here on Northstar Basketball.

No comments: